In this article Kate Lawrence discusses how she experiences space with specific reference to her own vertical dance practice, proposing that the spatial confusion and disorientation of the vertical dancer might lead to new insights and understandings of spatiality.
Some readings on Vertical Dance compiled by Kate Lawrence and Wanda Moretti
Ongoing bibliography, to come after the e-publication “Vertical Pathways” by Wanda Moretti and Kate Lawrence in May 2019.
- Calcagno, M., Cardullo, C., Sicca, L.M. (2013), ‘Writing and reading innovative organizations. An empirical research on vertical dance’ Working Paper Department of Management, Universita Ca’ Foscari Venezia., pp. 1-15 (ISSN 2239-2734)
- Haigood, J. (2009) ‘An Interview’ and ‘Looking for the Invisible’ in Kloetzel, M. and Pavlik, C., eds. (2009). Site dance: Choreographers and the Lure of Alternative Spaces. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, pp 52 – 63.
- Kreiter, J. (2009) ‘An Interview’ and ‘Making Sparrow’s End’ in Kloetzel, M. and Pavlik, C., eds. (2009). Site dance: Choreographers and the Lure of Alternative Spaces. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, pp 239 – 252.
- Lawrence, K. ‘Up, down and amongst: perceptions and productions of space in vertical dance practices’. Unpublished doctoral thesis, University of Surrey. Available at: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/845092/
- Lawrence, K. (2010) “Hanging from Knowledge: Vertical Dance as Spatial Fieldwork” in Performance Research 15(4), 49-58.
- Lawrence, K. and Moretti, W. (2006) ‘Scolpire lo spazio a passi di danza: Wanda Moretti racconta il suo lavoro sul corpo’, Venezia Musica dintorni, December 2006, 34-35.
- Lawrence, K. and Moretti, W. (2006) ‘Vertical dance with Wanda Moretti’, Dancing Cities: Dance in Urban Landscapes, 12/2006, p.21.
- Lawrence, K. and Moretti, W. (2011) ‘What is vertical dance?’, in Juggling Magazine, nº 50, March 2011.
- Moretti, W. (2006) Danza e Architettura, la percezione dello spazio strutturato. Arte documento, no. 21, Venezia Ed della Laguna 2006, ISSN1121-0524
- Rudolph, A. (2008). ‘Project Bandaloop’ in Bernasconi J. and Smith N. (2008). Aerial Dance. Champaign IL: Human Kinetics, pp 56-59.
- Schiavoni, M. (2010) ‘Suspended Projections, The changing equilibria of Wanda Moretti’. Ed. Digcult n.53 / April 2010
- Wilson, M. et al. (2015). ‘Trunk Muscle Activation and Estimating Spinal Compressive Force in Rope and Harness Vertical Dance’ in Journal of Dance Medicine and Science, 19 (4), pp 163-172. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285741544_Trunk_Muscle_Activation_and_Estimating_Spinal_Compressive_Force_in_Rope_and_Harness_Vertical_Dance